Discussion--Data Collection




Transcript:

Teachers continually assess their students and collect data through formative assessments, observations, standardized tests, key milestone exams, project work, and student files (Resilient Educator, 2022). The schools in which I have taught that place a focus on state assessments, expect teachers to collect data on students throughout the year, and provide access to programs that assist them in doing so. When the school puts a focus on a state assessment, I have administered interim and mini assessments that mimic it and collected data on student performance for each standard. The computer scored tests could then be disaggregated in numerous ways to allow me to see students’ strengths and weaknesses in each domain and allow me to see how well I am addressing the needs of each of my student subgroups. I then use the data to create flexible groups to differentiate instruction focusing on students’ needs. I also collect data from formative assessment and observations to help me see which students may need more instruction or where I need to reteach information for all students. I often create spreadsheets, and then interpret the data collected in charts, graphs, or other visualizations to help me form student groups, similar to the uses mentioned in Roblyer & Hughes (2019). I have also been successful when students record and track their own data in tables which they turn into graphs. Having students see what standards or information they have mastered and what they still need to work on is powerful. It allows them to take ownership of their learning and the data collected makes the idea of learning more concrete.  

References 

Roblyer, M. D., & Hughes, J. E. (2019). Integrating educational technology into teaching. Perason Education.  

Resilient Educator. (2022). Collecting data in the classroom: A teacher’s guide. Collecting Data in the Classroom: A Teacher's Guide | Resilient Educator 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion--Assistive Technology

Technology Lesson Demonstration Assignment

Discussion--Reflection